Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014



With another year ending, and a new one on the rise I usually get a little sad. I don't want to leave the current year so quickly and get nervous about what the next year may hold. This year is different, I am welcoming 2015 with open arms, party hat and giant kazoo. The truth is, 2014 was the worst year of my life thus far. 

I teach youth in Sunday school and this past Sunday one of the questions were "What has 2014 taught you?" My answer was simply, "patience". 


Wallace, Alabama Winter 2014

Our home, Winter 2014

With spending the year realizing that the past 6 years of my life spent in school for a degree that there are currently no positions open for was quite disheartening. Even though I had a feeling it would be the case, most days I feel like I am wasting a part of myself. 
Atlanta, Winter 2014

I had two miscarriages which I have to admit changed a giant chunk of my whole being, and lost my beloved grandmother. 

My grandmother, girl in front right. 

To say the least it was not a happy year, but in the same year, I found this woman that I never knew was there, one who doesn't give up, or feel that I need something right then and there. We live in a world where when we want something, all it takes is a click or two. Instant gratification for material things can roll over to important things in life. I laugh at the idea of making plans for my life because God seems to show me a different path. 

Visiting Hank Williams' grave, Summer 2014

Best moment- The Head & the Heart, Mobile, Alabama Fall 2014

Another thing 2014 taught me is to appreciate the little moments. Instead of taking advantage of little times with friends and family, lately after every moment  I snap a little mental photo of the lovely cherised time I have with them. 
Jeb and I, Summer 2014

Spoons. I feel in love with this after the first miscarriage I had. If you ever go through a loss, in some odd way you can turn it into something positive. I became obsessed with shaping and sanding a block of boring wood into something beautiful and functional. The monotony of te sanding and rasping becomes almost spiritual in that your brain empties out and becomes quiet, which is a wonderful experience. My art instructor at UWF called this getting in "the zone." 

I also became so in tune with nature, spent hours staring at flowers, succulents, bees, the clouds, the moon. Open up your eyes in take in all the beauty around you, it's incredible.
Moon, summer 2014

Succulent Bloom, summer 2014

Lastly, 
2014 brought my husband and I closer together. I think going through hard times either pulls you apart, or joins you together. I can't say enough about how amazing he is to me. I am still learning so much about marriage but it is incredible how you know what each other's needs are without saying a word. So many times I wanted to just lose it, but he, God, and family and friends kept me going. 

Shannon, Orange Beach 2014 summer

So now that I've talked about things that aren't all peaches and sunshine, I wish you all love and happiness in 2015, may it be our best year yet.

-Meg 

No comments:

Post a Comment